badskittler
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Torn between this one and Malta for Christmas &  New Year. I've read a fair bit about the Malta trip but can't find anything about this one. Anyone been before who could comment?
Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

I did this trip last Christmas. Very large group (40) but the Malta one was over 50!! The hotel in Vienna (which they are still using) was not geared up for large groups and was away from the city centre, but was quiet and the rooms were fine, but the 2 evening meals we had there were not good, so the TM wisely decided for us to eat out. A lot of the main attractions in Vienna were closed, but the Belvedere was open the whole time we were there - you can take a taxi there or walk (about 20 minutes).

The hotel in Hungary was a spa hotel, and the smell of sulphur hits you as soon as you go in! Every possible treatment you would ever want. An outdoor thermal pool as well as 2 indoor thermal pools. You can also swim in Lake Balaton (even when it was 2C!). Rooms fine. The hotel went out of their way to make us feel welcome as the local agent had not prepared them properly. We had free drinks on New Year's Eve. The buffet meals were very good. Local attractions all closed. The trip to Budapest was a long day, cold, snowing, and we really didn't want 3 hours free time, but the TM insisted.

The highlights of this trip were the Viennese concert on Christmas Day (we ate out in a restaurant beforehand but you wouldn't know it was Christmas Day!).  I loved Vienna, and would go back, but would stay in the heart of the city and certainly not at that hotel! The New Year's Eve entertainment in Hungary was very good. Due to the large group the day trips out meant hanging around in the cold a lot.

As I have now done most of the Christmas/New Year JY and Travelsphere trips, I am using another company this year, which hopefully will have a much smaller group. If you don't mind very large groups, fine!

Cheers,

Hils

badskittler
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for your very comprehensive response; given me lots to consider. Group size doesn't worry me but lack of things to do would concern me. Will think some more.
1981Kedi
(Member)
I was also on this holiday last year - Hi Hils! It was the proverbial curate's egg - good in parts. I agree the group was too large - ages to get on and off the coach, loo queues in the cold, delays in service for meals, didn't really gel as a group and I don't think I managed to speak to everyone by the end.

The main issue with Vienna, apart from the hotel being out in the sticks, (the Belvedere was a nearby bonus!), was that the two walking tours were just that - walking tours - we didn't go inside anywhere, and places were open, in particular the cathedral - you would have thought this famous cathedral was worth a peek inside at Christmas! We passed other groups going into the Hofburg, and coming out from a daytime performance by the Vienna boys choir. The group was divided in two for the second walking tour - the group I went with duplicated much of the previous day's tour and we didn't even get within 200 yards of the Cathedral.

We did have free time - one group of girls had a horse drawn carriage ride - as it was Christmas the traffic in Vienna was much quieter than normal - this is a lovely way to see the city and if a few of you club together, not too expensive. I visited the Habsburg Crypt in the Capuchin Church - fascinating, also Demels cafe - you just have to visit at least one of Vienna's famous coffee shops! Don't forget to request pensioner rates on any entrance fees if you are "of a certain age" - always worth a try!

We were lucky with the weather in Vienna, cold and crisp, occasionally sunny. When we went to Schonbrunn I took the opportunity to visit the zoo rather than spend the time in the extensive Christmas market. The concert at the Kursalon was, as ever, very enjoyable.

Coach journey to Heviz/Lake Balaton was broken with a visit to a different town than on your itinerary - but the coffee stop chocolate factory was closed! The scenery around Lake Balaton was beautiful - we did have a couple of crisp, sunny days. Budapest was fascinating and deserves a proper visit when it is not quite so cold - it was freeeeezing! So wrap up well! I actually appreciated the free time and would have stayed longer. We were on the Pest side of the Danube, after the earlier coach and walking tour of Buda. Apart from the streets of Christmas Markets, there were several large churches/basilica, interesting bridges, the Parliament building and the moving sculpture of shoes by the Danube. I recommend the DK Top 10 Budapest travel guide. 

All in all this was a promising holiday that needed the Vienna hotel to be more central and the itinerary tweaking - not helped by the awful "coach cough" which affected just about everyone by the end of our trip.

Like Hils I have exhausted the Christmas/New Year trips offered by JY and TS (apart from Malta, which I visited in the summer, and Costa Brava, which doesn't appeal for some reason!). I much prefer to be away for the whole of the "festive period" and haven't yet booked anything for this year!

badskittler
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Hill and 1981kedi you have helped enormously. Think I'll give it a miss. Have done Costa Brava one about 5 years ago and loved it. Thought trips were pretty good. Bonus is very easy to catch local train into Barcelona which is one of my favourite cities. Was hoping for something new this year.
adeline_tan
(Member)
Hi all!

I'm joining this trip, and so looking forward to it! May I know how many people are going please?

@Hils: Would you be able to advise what I should pack to wear (e.g.for the concert, or for the formal dinners) , as well as how much money I should allocate for spending during this trip?

@1981Kedi: How much time were you able to spend at the zoo?

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Adeline,

There are 40 people booked on this trip, 9 men and 31 women. Their ages range from mid 30s to early 80s.

Many thanks,

Vickie

1981Kedi
(Member)
'adeline_tan' wrote:

Hope you have a great time and the weather is kind! I see you have the same group size - be prepared for loo queues!

The zoo is directly behind the Schoenbrunn palace to the right as you walk away - well signposted. There is an entrance pay booth where you can pick up a map - this is easyish to follow round depending on what your interests are - I did a high and low circuit - spent time with the pandas - there were 3 on display at that time - no need to book a special time slot. Look out for the seal feeding time - great fun and very splashy!! I think the free time must have been more than an hour possibly two? Small cafe to grab a coffee and snack and a gift shop.

Will check when I get home - currently on tour in Vietnam!

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'adeline_tan' wrote:

Hi all!

I'm joining this trip, and so looking forward to it! May I know how many people are going please?  

@Hils: Would you be able to advise what I should pack to wear (e.g.for the concert, or for the formal dinners) , as well as how much money I should allocate for spending during this trip?

Re clothing - definitely WARM clothing that you can wear in layers - hat, gloves and scarf also needed, and a decent warm jacket/coat! As for the concert and New Year's Eve, smartish, but not ballgowns! Christmas Day was spent in a restaurant in the evening, and you wouldn't really know it was Christmas! Money is always a difficult one - it depends what meals are included (or not), whether you want to have various treatments in the spa, and how much you drink! There wasn't that much to buy in the way of souvenirs (as so many places were closed!), although I bought quite a lot in the Belvedere. Most importantly, don't forget about tips - for the drivers, local guides and of course the Tour Manager. As a very rough guide I always work on about £50 a day. If the TM is UK based, you can always tip them in Sterling. You will also need a decent pair of walking shoes.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

adeline_tan
(Member)
Thank you all! Very helpful tips, and I'm now more excited than ever!