Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Well it’s now all paid for, so can’t wait for September 14th.

I am told at present there are 22 on this tour (17 female/5 male), so hello to my fellow travellers.

I see there are some more optional excursions which we pay the tour manager over there, so that means a bit more cash to take!

Let’s hope the weather is ok and that the Clam Chowder is as good as it was in San Francisco!

Malcolm

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Malcolm,

Weather should be fine I was Over there in Sept 2006 and at times it was rather warm!. I cannot remember are you doing the add on while over there?

I am going the following week leave on the 23rd, I paid off my balance yesterday really looking forward to re doing some parts of this tour and really looking forward to the parts I have not seen before.

Hope you have a great time.

Cindy

MargB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy

Am going to the New England tour in Sept. As you are a seasoned traveller can you advise re: money. Obviously I`ll take cards but is it best to take mostly cash?

Many thanks,

Margaret

Malcolm,

Weather should be fine I was Over there in Sept 2006 and at times it was rather warm!. I cannot remember are you doing the add on while over there?

I am going the following week leave on the 23rd, I paid off my balance yesterday really looking forward to re doing some parts of this tour and really looking forward to the parts I have not seen before.

Cindy

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'MargB' wrote:

Hi Cindy

Am going to the New England tour in Sept. As you are a seasoned traveller can you advise re: money. Obviously I`ll take cards but is it best to take mostly cash?

Many thanks,

Margaret

Malcolm,

Cindy

Hello Margaret

So which date are you going on, I think there is a total of 6 tours leaving in September. I am doing the New York add on as well, as when I went before in 2006 there are more things I want to see.

Regarding money, I am a cash kind of girl, with a bank and credit card as back up. Just remember to tell them you are going abroad. I tend to book extra excursions when I am away this often is in local currency sometimes you might be able to put them on a card. If you know you want to do a particular excusion sometimes you can pay this end. I have travelled on many USA tour with JY they are great fun and you see so much, normally there are safes in the room to keep stuff safe, if not in reception. JUST remember to clear them out before you move to the next hotel.

Cindy

MargB
  • (Member)
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

'MargB' wrote:

Hi Cindy

Many thanks,

Margaret

Malcolm,

Cindy

Hello Margaret

So which date are you going on, I think there is a total of 6 tours leaving in September. I am doing the New York add on as well, as when I went before in 2006 there are more things I want to see.

Regarding money, I am a cash kind of girl, with a bank and credit card as back up. Just remember to tell them you are going abroad. I tend to book extra excursions when I am away this often is in local currency sometimes you might be able to put them on a card. If you know you want to do a particular excusion sometimes you can pay this end. I have travelled on many USA tour with JY they are great fun and you see so much, normally there are safes in the room to keep stuff safe, if not in reception. JUST remember to clear them out before you move to the next hotel.

Cindy

Thank you for that Cindy. I`m going on the 14th. Regards

Lucinda
(Member)
I did this trip last year with travelsphere. I would say have cash for small things like souvenirs, drinks, lunch etc but card for the rest. The US and Canada are just like us in you can use your card for any amount really.

Just something to think about- if you do optionals, you had to pay in dollars for US trips and Canadian dollars for the canada trips! I know this sounds logical but I kind of expected to pay for it all in one go and we didn't.

This was a fantastic trip, you will have a great time.

'MargB' wrote:

Hi Cindy

Many thanks,

Margaret

Malcolm,

Cindy

Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Margaret

This is my 6th tour of North America and I usually reckon on 100 dollars a day. This will cover a snack at lunch time, evening meal/drinks. Gifts could be anything and there’s the tips including the guide and driver at the end.

With this tour being 9 days in the USA and 4 days in Canada don’t forget to split your dollars.

I assume you have paid for some of the tours already but I see there are some optional tours payable to the tour manager.

The ones I shall book are :-

‘Circle tour of New York’ £26 (about 43$ but if buying online 34$ or 30$ if over 65),

‘CN Tower Toronto’ £35 (62CA$ although buying online would cost 32CA$ or if you are over 65, 24CA$)!!!!

And ‘Voyage to the Falls’ £15 (25US$ or 26CA$).

The main problem with buying online is that we do not know what time slot to book for.

Hope this helps and that the prices quoted by JY are incorrect!

Malcolm

MargB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Malcolm

That`s really helpful. I`ve booked the Cape Cod and New York by night tours. The others I`ll book in resort. Too nervous about the online bookings!

Margaret

Julie L
(Member)
Hi anyone going to canada & New England on the 17th September?
Quilter
(Member)
Thank you every one for the advice on the Canada trip on the 14th Sept. I am so looking forward to meeting everyone on my first holiday with JY

Audrey

cfreadiing
(Member)
Hi

I'm on the 14 September departure too. Looking forward to meeting you all at Heathrow.

Not long to go now so will have to start packing soon! I've booked the Cape Cod and New York by Night excursions but will wait and see what else is on offer from the tour manager.

Only 31 days to go.

Cheryl

Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone, not long now just one month.

Well it’s good that more of us are introducing ourselves. Hello Audrey, Cheryl, Margaret and Stewart. No doubt nearer the date perhaps we can think of a place to meet up at Terminal 5. I shall be travelling up from the Sussex coast that morning. The more I am reading up about this tour, the more I am getting excited! It may not rival the National Parks tour for scenery (which by the way if you have not been you must as it is brilliant), but so many city visits and off course New York.

The ‘New York by Night’ tour should be good with the unexpected bonus of it including a trip to the top of the Empire State Building. Perhaps for us guys Meg Ryan will meet us there!! OK, perhaps Tom Hanks will be there too for you ladies!!

I plan to book the ‘CN Tower’ in Toronto visit online as it is a lot cheaper. Will also book the Rockefeller Center Top of the Rock at $29 or $27 if over 62. Will definitely be doing the ‘Circle River Cruise’ and ‘Voyage to the Falls’. Hope the MetroCard vending machines work for the NY subway tickets as I have never been to NY.

Looks like we will visit a Maple Syrup farm near Montpelier in Vermont. Just love maple syrup biscuits!

All the best.

Malcolm

anniethenitnurse
(Member)
Hello you guys!

I did this tour last year, at the end of September, and I am so envious of you all going! You will have a fantastic time, I'm sure of it - and the trip to the Maple farm is brilliant - the guy who does the short presentation is so funny! And there's a little shop attached where you can buy the necessary syrup to make things when you get back home. The ice cream they sell is also delicious!!!

Have a great trip everyone

Anne

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'anniethenitnurse' wrote:

Hello you guys!

I did this tour last year, at the end of September, and I am so envious of you all going! You will have a fantastic time, I'm sure of it - and the trip to the Maple farm is brilliant - the guy who does the short presentation is so funny! And there's a little shop attached where you can buy the necessary syrup to make things when you get back home. The ice cream they sell is also delicious!!!

Have a great trip everyone

Anne

hi Anne

Hope you are well, where are you traveling to next?

When you were in Boston did anybody do a whale watching tour by any chance? As a relative said you get great views if them here? is there anything else I should be looking to do in Boston during the free time.

Cindy

anniethenitnurse
(Member)
Hi Cindy,

No, we didn't do any whale watching and I went on all the excursions so didn't really have the "free day" in Boston. To be honest, I think you'll have a brilliant time, no matter what you choose to do. We were taken to a brilliant fish restaurant on the waterfront on the Saturday evening, after our visit to Cape Cod and it was really good - the portions are huge so 1 between 2 is all that is needed. They also do a veggie option, as one of our group was a veggie and he didn't seem to have many problems with this, no matter where we went on this break.

I'm fine thanks, and have no plans at the moment to go off anywhere, but who knows! Hope you're well too, and that you have a fabulous time on this trip

Anne

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'anniethenitnurse' wrote:

Hi Cindy,

No, we didn't do any whale watching and I went on all the excursions so didn't really have the "free day" in Boston. To be honest, I think you'll have a brilliant time, no matter what you choose to do. We were taken to a brilliant fish restaurant on the waterfront on the Saturday evening, after our visit to Cape Cod and it was really good - the portions are huge so 1 between 2 is all that is needed. They also do a veggie option, as one of our group was a veggie and he didn't seem to have many problems with this, no matter where we went on this break.

I'm fine thanks, and have no plans at the moment to go off anywhere, but who knows! Hope you're well too, and that you have a fabulous time on this trip

Anne

Anne

As I have done most of the Boston part, I hope to do my own thing, I am well and so looking forward to this tour 5 WEEKS today!..

Cindy

1981Kedi
(Member)
Just a couple of thought as I did this tour on 30 September last year - first JY holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Midtown Hotel in Boston is close to the Prudential Shopping Mall - on the first late afternoon/early evening walked over there with a new found friend and we went to the top of the very tall tower (small charge with audio headsets) - this gave super 360 degree views over Boston - a good way to get your bearings for the tours. There is a supermarket just a bit further on for stocking up on provisions/bottled water if necessary!

Pumpkins everywhere! Look out for Halloween decorations - great displays in shops, gardens, restaurants, churches and at the roadside. I think most of us picked up a Halloween memento or two from the shops.

If you are a pensioner (I am, but I know a lot of you are mere youngsters!) do ask about discounts on entries - savings can be good - the one that comes to mind was the entry for the Mayflower 2 in Plymouth - I thought this well worth a visit at the reduced price. (Don't forget to look for the statue of the Indian on the hillside - I missed it!).

Also enjoyed the trip to the maple farm - if its the same one the talk by Burr was hilarious - but also very informative, Great gift shop - the bottles of maple syrup are well sealed and traveled back in my suitcase just fine - unfortunately didn't last long once home!

I understand the tour is slightly different this time but I am sure it will be just as wonderful.

MargB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Probaby a daft question but can someone advise if I need to take insect repellant for this trip??

Thanks, Margaret

Quilter
(Member)
I am booked to go on the 14 Sept trip to Canada and New England.

My trip may be in doubt now as I had an accident and damaged my lower back on Monday 25 August.

I am doing all I can to recover, but am wondering how comfortable the coaches are and whether I will be able to manage the trip at all. Walking doesn't seem to be a problem. I too was wondering about insect repellent.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Quilter' wrote:

I am booked to go on the 14 Sept trip to Canada and New England.

My trip may be in doubt now as I had an accident and damaged my lower back on Monday 25 August.

I am doing all I can to recover, but am wondering how comfortable the coaches are and whether I will be able to manage the trip at all. Walking doesn't seem to be a problem. I too was wondering about insect repellent.

Sorry to hear you have hurt your back and I hope you can heal intime for your tour, I have been on a few USA tours, and the coaches are fine depending on the group size you can find you can spread out and have an empty seat next to you, which if there's a long drive can be nice. Most have a toilet on board for emergencys and there are regular comfort stops, some of the drives can be a long time due to the distances we have to cover to visit other places.

I will be taking repellent it's me, better to be safe than sorry.

I am on the tour leaving 23d Sept..

Cindy