patsyb
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just returned from this holiday - it was fabulous - especially the ranch! Anyone worried about age needn't-the youngest was 28 - the oldest 83 with a good mixture in between and everyone got on really well. Would love to do it all again!
elizabeth12
(Member)
hello Patsyb.

I am going on this holiday in September. Would love some tips on what clothes to take eg for ranch part eg shoes, clothes etc., also for rest of trip. In fact, I would love any comments from you regarding your holiday. Pleased to hear you had a great time.

Regards,

Elizabeth12

donna
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Elizabeth,

You have chosen a wonderful holiday to go on, like Pat I went in March and I have to say it was the best holiday I have ever been on, you will see some amazing sites, The weather varied greatly throughout Arizona and utah so a good selection is recommended, It will still be warm at the ranch but jeans and a shirt is advised as some of the rides get quite close to cactuses! The ranch recommends heeled boots for the riding but people were wearing trainers etc, plus there is a fab shop in Scottsdale where you can treat yoursekf to some fab cowboy boots- I did! One word of warning, the ranch is so amazing it will be extremely hard to leave, I still miss it now and will definately go back soon!

Enjoy!

Donna

patsyb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Donna, lovely to read your message - it was a fantastic holiday wasn' it? - still wearing the famous boots??

And in reply to Elizabeth - although there was snow on the hills in Utah and around Bryce canyon in March it will be alot warmer in September. You'll need mainly jeans and shirts both day and evening although the Raddison Hotel in Flagstaff was fairly up market - we had a fabulous Japanese meal there- lovely restaurants - you might like to dress up a bit for that. I would love to back to the ranch but I've just received the latest brochure and it isn't in. You will have a wonderful holiday - I envy you and I know Donna will!!!

Have fun!!

Pat

elizabeth12
(Member)
Hello Donna,

Thank you very much for replying to my e-mail. I have never been on a holiday like this before. There is so much I want to know that I don't know where to start. Are there many extras to pay for? Will I need some smart clothes? Was there anything you really wished you had known about before you went? I'd love to hear more about your experiences.

Kind regards,

Elizabeth.

Elizabeth12.

patsyb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi again Elizabeth,

We seem to be in a triangle here!! In answer to your questions - the only extras moneywise was a sail on Lake Powell - about £25 but well worth it and if you want to go on a flight or helicopter over the Grand Canyon. And most lunches and dinners of course but everything is much cheaper there. I took £500 (in dollars) and despite buying lots of presents I had a job to spend it. (I did though)!!!

The e-mail address for the ranch is info@wsranch.com Also have a look at Tripadvisor you can see all the hotels you'll be staying in - they were all good in different ways.

Regards, Pat

elizabeth12
(Member)
Hello Pat and Donna.

It's been great to read your e-mails. I noticed that this holiday had been dropped from the brochure and wondered why. What a pity for those who wanted to do it again. I am so glad I decided this year to take the plunge or I would have missed out completely. I was unsure at first because I am in my sixties and wondered if this trip would be very physically demanding. Still nothing ventured, nothing gained so roll on September. I couldn't go on this particular holiday earlier in the year otherwise we would have met. Still, it has been very nice to get all your comments.

Hope you enjoy your next holiday{s) just as much.

Best wishes,

Elizabeth.

Cheryl- your editor
(Member)
Hi Elizabeth,

I noticed you mentioned that this tour has been dropped in the new brochure. If you look in the America & Canada 2009 brochure, you will find it on page 22/23. The name has slightly changed to 'America's National Parks & Canyons'. You can still take the Ranch add-on aswell so all is not lost. In our new updated brochures, we sometimes change the names and update the itineraries...I hope this hasnt confused you too much!

Kind regards

Cheryl, your editor

patsyb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Elizabeth - please don't worry about your age - I'll be 70 next month and there were several older than me! And many younger!!

Enjoy! Pat

donna
  • (Member)
(Member)
Aw-reading all the messages is making me sad and wanting to do it all again! I too took about £500 spends and struggled to spend it! and yes Pat im wearing my boots to death-everyone comments on them and im still showing them off! I agree with all Pat has said, the cruise and the helicopter ride over the grand canyon was amazing and well worth the money.All food is very cheap but definatly try the Japanese resturant in Flagstaff-its certainly an experience, I wont say anymore!

It is a very 'full on' holiday and every day is full but the travelling once there isn't too bad. you will love it!

Oh and I was the baby of the group at 26yrs but met some wonderful people and everyone was so friendly

Hope you are well Pat, maybe see you at the ranch someday.

Donna xx

elizabeth12
(Member)
Hi. Thank you all very much for your responses. They have been brilliant! I have some more questions. How did you take your money? Did you take dollars, cash, travellers cheques? Also, what was the flight out like, how long did it take? What was the time difference and was jet lag a problem?

I am so glad you all have had a great time That makes me look forward to my holiday even more.

Best wishes,

Elizabeth.

donna
  • (Member)
(Member)
HI,

I took cash and I bought a post office travel card, you 'top up' before you go and it can be used as a visa card while there, it was really handy because I could use it as a debit card and could also draw money out from a ATM machine if necessary. Travellers cheques are probably the other option.

Im guessing the flights will be the same route, on the way out we flew to San Francisco (11 hours) and a connecting flight to Las Vegas (1 1/2 hours) I wont lie it was hard work but worth it! Coming back we flew from Tuscon to Washington (approx 4 hours) then washington to Heathrow (7 hours) it was much easier coming back the little time at washington helped me anyway!

You probably will feel the jet lag when you arrive in Las Vegas, obviously it effects people more than others but it subsides after a couple of days! Coming back wasnt to bad, I was tired for a couple of days but this was probably due to a wonderful holiday!

Donna x

patsyb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi again Elizabeth,

Regarding fights, I flew Manchester/Heathrow the day before, went to the get-together which was fabulous - 14 of us there and stayed the night at the Comfort Inn which was lovely - a good start to the holiday. As Donna said it was a long haul to San Francisco but you soon get over it. I took all cash with me - not really adviseable I suppose but I bought a 'body pouch' made out of lingerie material

so completely undetectable round the waist. I wore it all the time until I'd nearly spent up!

Again as Donna said flights home much better and those boots must be worn out by now!!!

Regards, Pat

elizabeth12
(Member)
Hello Patsy and Donna.

Thanks for the tips on money. What you both did seems very sensible to me. Sorry for all the questions but I haven't heard from anyone else going on this holiday. It's not that I am particularly nervous or anything (not yet anyway) but I am very excited and do want to make the most of this holiday. Did you go on the Las Vegas tour by night the night you arrived?

Best Wishes as always,

Elizabeth.

patsyb
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello again Elizbeth,

The evening trip was brilliant - first we went up the Stratosphere Tower for cocktails, then up the strip by night saw a short show at the Hotel Rio, then to the Bellagio to see the fountains at night, finishing at Fremont in the old town. The evening started at 6 and ended about 9 so you still get a fairly early night. I was just as excited at you - I'd bought all my dollars and clothes nine months before I went!!

The more I keep corresponding with you the more I want to go back - so many memories!!!

Have fun!

Pat