janicek
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Folks,

I know it's early days but would love to hear from anyone going on this trip, or from anyone who has already been. I am not long home from the Rocky Mountaineer trip, my first experience of travelling solo. I loved the holiday and met a great group of people so wanted to go ahead and book the next trip on my "must see" list. Hope to hear from you.

Janice

janicek
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi,

Still hoping to hear from anyone planning this trip.

Janice

linjay
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Janice

Just wanted to let you know I did this trip in Oct 07. It was really good and we stayed in some lovely places. Apart from the game parks, which are the main attraction, there were lots of other unmissable sights and experiences. My only advice is that it was quite difficult to cash travellers' cheques, so if I was doing it again I'd simply use my bank card to withdraw local currency as there are plenty of cash machines. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Lin

janicek
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Lin,

Thanks for the advice, I am really looking forward to the trip needless to say. I have since found out that one of the gentlemen from my Canadian trip has booked as well so at least one familiar face. Roll on May 09!

linjay
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Janice

Glad you've found somebody going on the trip - it's always nice to see a familiar face. I'd love to hear more about your Rocky Mountaineer trip as it is one I plan to do in the next few years. I did East Canada in September which was very enjoyable and I'm just about to book for Australia in Nov 2009 which is one of my must do's'. So many places to see - if only working to pay for the hols didn't get in the way of taking them!!

Lin

holly-j
(Member)
Just to say 'hello' as i'm on the same trip as you to South Africa in May. Wonder if you can give me any tips about our holiday. What to pack, the weather, ect. Be great to here from you. Also, if any other of our travelling companions read this why not drop me a line. Regards holly-j
janicek
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Holly,

Good to hear from a fellow traveller. I honestly don't know what to expect either regarding climate etc. I have been advised probably layers as it can be quite cool at night and on early morning safari. I have also been told dress code is casual so I plan to pack for comfort!

Travellers cheques can be difficult to cash but atms are widely available: have a look at the fco travel advice section re south africa.

Travel plug adaptor can be purchased at Heathrow, I don't think the world wide one works in SA.

I have already had my vaccinations and plan to take Malarone as my malaria chemoprophylaxis.

I spoke to a couple recently who did this trip with Travelsphere and had a wonderful time.

Are you going to Zambia as well?

Hope to hear from you, see you at the airport. My connecting flight is from Belfast.

Janice