Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
'JudyB2017' wrote:

'Jennie Whalley' wrote:

Hello to everyone travelling on the Roof of the World trip on 3rd September.

I am Jennie your Tour Manager for this trip.

We are now 14 (+me), and I will be travelling from Heathrow with 6 of you. Please don't worry about the transfer between flights, if any one has a delay into Amsterdam, mention it to the staff on board before disembarking and they will advise you of the quickest way to get to our onward flight.

With regard to clothing - what to pack.

The weather is likely to be mainly warm, but a light jacket or fleece would be useful in Tibet. China tours are mainly casual, not always time to change for dinner, so shorts, crops or light trousers, with shirts, t shirts etc. Perhaps a waterproof -"just in case"!

Please do not spend too much time worrying about altitude sickness, we will be taking it very slowly as we acclimatise. You may experience some shortness of breath as the air is thinner, but as long as we take it steady you should be fine without oxygen.

Remember to pack sun screen as it is easy to get burnt at high altitude!

I am looking forward to meeting you all, we will have a great adventure discovering this wonderful country together.

Jennie Whalley

Hi Jennie

Thanks for that reassuring reply re clothes and altitude. Just a couple of queries at the moment; 

do we have to collect our bags and re-check in at Schipol, or are they re routed on for us, so we only have to make sure we get ourselves to the right departure gate? 

What is your advice about currency?

I'm meeting up with my fellow traveller this weekend and we may have more queries, so hopefully you'll be able to to answer those right up to departure.

Many thanks

Judy

Hi Jennie.

I am on this tour flying from Birmingham, thanks for your advise about check-in. I thought our cases would have been checked straight through to China. I am really looking forward to this trip, i did the China tour 3 years ago and enjoyed it but Tibet sounds so much different.

Hornblower.

'JudyB2017' wrote:

'Jennie Whalley' wrote:

We are now 14 (+me), and I will be travelling from Heathrow with 6 of you. Please don't worry about the transfer between flights, if any one has a delay into Amsterdam, mention it to the staff on board before disembarking and they will advise you of the quickest way to get to our onward flight.

The weather is likely to be mainly warm, but a light jacket or fleece would be useful in Tibet. China tours are mainly casual, not always time to change for dinner, so shorts, crops or light trousers, with shirts, t shirts etc. Perhaps a waterproof -"just in case"!

Please do not spend too much time worrying about altitude sickness, we will be taking it very slowly as we acclimatise. You may experience some shortness of breath as the air is thinner, but as long as we take it steady you should be fine without oxygen.

I am looking forward to meeting you all, we will have a great adventure discovering this wonderful country together.

Jennie Whalley

Hi Jennie

Thanks for that reassuring reply re clothes and altitude. Just a couple of queries at the moment; 

do we have to collect our bags and re-check in at Schipol, or are they re routed on for us, so we only have to make sure we get ourselves to the right departure gate? 

I'm meeting up with my fellow traveller this weekend and we may have more queries, so hopefully you'll be able to to answer those right up to departure.

Many thanks

Judy

Good afternoon Jennie

Thank you for both of your reassuring posts.

Looking forward to this holiday and meeting you and everyone else in just over 3 weeks time.

Best wishes

Di

'JudyB2017' wrote:

'Jennie Whalley' wrote:

Jennie Whalley

Hi Jennie

Many thanks

Judy

Good morning Judy

When you check in in the UK you should ask for your cases to be checked through to Chendu, otherwise you would be pushed for time in Amsterdam.

As for currency you will need to bring some of yuan with you to buy extra water, and any shopping from street vendors -( I recommend waiting until we get to Yangshou where there are more shopping opportunities, also there will be banking and exchange services). All large shops take credit cards. If you want to book optional trips you can pay in sterling.

The hotels and banks in China have ATM's, and will also change sterling, although I understand that away from Llasa banking may be limited in Tibet. (In an emergency if you run out of yuan I always have extra and can change for you).

Jennie

'Jennie Whalley' wrote:

Jennie Whalley

Hi Jennie

Many thanks

Judy

Jennie Whalley

Hi Judy

It is good to hear from someone else on this trip.

I am travelling from Heathrow although I only live 15 minutes away from Birmingham. Although I have done loads of JY tours I was a little hesitant about travelling to Schiphol by myself and wanted to make sure that I met fellow travellers at the airport!

I don't normally like wearing layers of clothing but on this holiday I think it will be a certainty. I don't think I will be taking anything particularly special to wear in the evenings on this holiday either. The luggage allowance at 20 kgs is lower than what I am used to.

I know we travel to over 16,000 feet but it isn't a certain  that we will need oxygen. I didn't in Peru when I was at that altitude, even though I was ill whilst there.

I do recommend reading Hils' review, I have found it very helpful. (thank you Hils)

Look forward to meeting you and everyone else on 3rd September. 

Kind Regards

Di

'JudyB2017' wrote:

Hi Dina,

I'm booked on the September "Roof of  the World", and dragging along my (female) friend. We're travelling from Birmingham (BHX) to Schipol, so I was interested to read about the short time window.

It's my first travel and it's a big one for me alone. I think I'm up to date with passport/visa and jabs. With four weeks or so left I'm trying to sort out what clothes to take. I don't want to be lugging around a big suitcase as we are moving regularly from each destination, so I'm looking for some advice on quantities, and types of clothing.  

I'm walking every day especially brisk walking up-hill, and I hope there'll be oxygen available rather than take acetozolamide.

What advice can you or anyone else give me?

I'm really looking forward to this trip even if I'm a little nervous! It'll be good to meet others whether one of the 9 or the 14!

Hi Judy,

I did an extensive review of this trip in May - if you look under the Search button and Reviews and Roof of the World you will see it. There was NOT oxygen at every hotel in Tibet. I strongly advise that you start taking the acetozolamide before you fly to Lhasa from China. Also, hotels in Tibet do not supply free bottles of water, so make sure you always have enough.

It is a fantastic trip - enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Hi Dina,

I'm booked on the September "Roof of the World", and dragging along my (female) friend. We're travelling from Birmingham (BHX) to Schipol, so I was interested to read about the short time window.

It's my first travel and it's a big one for me alone. I think I'm up to date with passport/visa and jabs. With four weeks or so left I'm trying to sort out what clothes to take. I don't want to be lugging around a big suitcase as we are moving regularly from each destination, so I'm looking for some advice on quantities, and types of clothing.

I'm walking every day especially brisk walking up-hill, and I hope there'll be oxygen available rather than take acetozolamide.

What advice can you or anyone else give me?

I'm really looking forward to this trip even if I'm a little nervous! It'll be good to meet others whether one of the 9 or the 14!

Hello Mildred

Thank you for your information, much appreciated.

Have a good day (presumably you will be moderating this on Monday)

Kind regards

Di