Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
'Jenny wrote:

'DebbieLS' wrote:

Hi Jenny,

I am going to S. Africa on 21st Sept. The malaria tablets are a bit confusing.

I am taking Malarone which I understand we need to take 2 days before entering a malaria area and 7 days after. My GP Nurse recommended starting day 7 also (which is 2 days before we enter Zululand and a game reserve, which the nurse felt was a malaria risk area). I am not doing the add on and the nurse suggested I need 13 tablets. I imagine everyone will get differing advice but hope this helps reassure you.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

That agrees with what my GP nurse says and what I shall go for but I know two other people who are doing the trip and addon (four of us who met in Australia 2 years ago are meeting up on this) and both have been given different advice by their GPs. At least you and I will be singing from the same hymn sheet as they say. See you soon.

Jen

I can also confirm my GP travel nurse has given me the same information regarding the malaria tablets. I am to start 2 days before we enter a malaria risk area and continue taking them for the rest of the holiday and 1 week after my return. By my calculations I will start when we reach Durban on day 7. I have also now booked my Yellow Fever jab for the trip into Zambia.

See you all on 21st September.

Mike

'julian888' wrote:

Hmm...it sounds, Jenny, that you don't have too much confidence in your GP's nurse if you feel the need to get a second opinion...?

No, it is other peoples advice that worries me. Silly I know.

Jen

Hmm...it sounds, Jenny, that you don't have too much confidence in your GP's nurse if you feel the need to get a second opinion...?
'DebbieLS' wrote:

Hi Jenny,

I am taking Malarone which I understand we need to take 2 days before entering a malaria area and 7 days after. My GP Nurse recommended starting day 7 also (which is 2 days before we enter Zululand and a game reserve, which the nurse felt was a malaria risk area). I am not doing the add on and the nurse suggested I need 13 tablets. I imagine everyone will get differing advice but hope this helps reassure you.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

That agrees with what my GP nurse says and what I shall go for but I know two other people who are doing the trip and addon (four of us who met in Australia 2 years ago are meeting up on this) and both have been given different advice by their GPs. At least you and I will be singing from the same hymn sheet as they say. See you soon.

Jen

Hi Jen

I see what you mean. Unfortunately, only a few of our tour managers use the Community so you might not get an answer from them before you go.

But, as you will see, quite a few other Community users have offered you their advice. I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

'Olly' wrote:

Hi Jenny

I'm not able to give any medical advice but I would suggest you follow whatever you have been told by your GP or practice nurse.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

Sorry if I did not make it plain on my email. I WAS NOT asking for medical advice, I have a perfectly competent Doctor's practice for that. What I did want to know from the number of tour guides who must do this trip was 'at what stage in the journey do mossies become a real problem'. May be I should have posted on the ask your tour guide link but in all of the ones that I have read answers come from fellow travellers not the couriers.

Jen

Hi Jenny,

Debbie

Hi Jenny,

I know that different malaria regions require different anti-malaria tablets so that may explain the why you're getting differing info about how many to take and when.

I only use my GP if I need vaccinations. For anti-malaria tablets I just pop into my local Boots chemists; they look up what I need and I just buy them over the counter. I haven't had any problems following their advice and I think the last time I bought some they were on offer so that was even better!

Julian

I have had misleading and incorrect information from my GP practice in the past.

If in doubt I phone NHS Direct on 0845 46 47.

Jenny

No idea if this will help you but when I went to Kenya, I took from two days before I left all the while I was away and then I think a week when I came home, I was on Malerone 1 a day tablet. I would re check exactley what your doc's or practice nurse says and go by their advice.

Cindy