Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
I too have started buying Christmas tree ornaments for my nephew and his wife. I bought some lovely hand made ones from South Africa. I even managed to buy a couple from Costa Rica.

Regards

Jaya

Hi All

I've given up on collecting fridge magnets as you couldn't see my fridge for the magnets! I now look for tea towels, t-shirts, wooden or china animals, slippers, nightshirts, soap or some other smelly. I also buy my great nephews and nieces a t-shirt from my holidays, which they enjoy receiving.

Regards

Sylvia

Hello Everyone,

I am a keen Hard Rock Cafe pin and shot glass collector. My first JY was Cairo, closed 3 months later after the Arab Uprising. Did Venice and Florence on 2 Italian trips, only Rome left to do. America Heart and Soul was Chicago, St Louis, Memphis and New Orleans as Keith will testify. Just done Amsterdam with Cunard and Queen Victoria- my 18th HRC.

I am now careful after that American trip and what I buy as I was heavily over weight with various bottles that could not be carried in my hand luggage :blush: I prefer lighter things that do not crush, break or weigh very much hence my photos are very valuable to me as they remind me of great holidays.

Great idea with the tube for pictures, and photo competition, I would love to see the one of Jaya 😉 

Jan

I collect Christmas tree decorations from wherever I have been in the world, it brings back the memories of my holidays when I get them out each year and have hopefully added some new ones.
'Jaya' wrote:

'AbbaDave' wrote:

Great Idea Bob, now that picture i took of a certain person in the bushes must be a contender lol

all the best Dave

Don't you dare share that photo without paying me a hefty royalty!

Regards

Jaya

Hi Jaya, your post made me laugh...I might have to email Dave and ask for a copy of it!!!

Cheers,

Bob

Hello

I always say to myself that I will not bring back any souvenirs, but this has not worked so far. I bought a very expensive rug from Turkey when I did the Istanbul, Tory, Ephesus trip. I always bring back a fridge magnet and my fridge is covered from top to bottom with magnets I have purchased and those given to me by colleagues/friends. I have brought back beaded animals from Namibia and South Africa, beaded necklaces from Mexico and South Africa, mosaic frog from when I did the Andalucia trip, mosaic croc from Costa Rica, an expensive Serangon pewter Lord Ganesh from Singapore whilst I did the add-on during Borneo trip and I have some lovely items I purchased from the craft market in Tel Aviv when I did the Holy Land trip. I was lucky enough to travel 3 days before the main tour and was taken to the craft market where hand made items were on sale and I purchased an expensive hanging 'charm' from an artisan's shop. All the items remind me of wonderful holidays and I treasure each and every one. I should stop buying any more but can't resist if I see an unusual item! I also brought back a lovely limited edition hand painted picture of a leopard on elephant dung paper from Namibia which is now framed and on display on the wall and a beautiful apron.

Regards

Jaya

'AbbaDave' wrote:

Great Idea Bob, now that picture i took of a certain person in the bushes must be a contender lol

all the best Dave

Don't you dare share that photo without paying me a hefty royalty!

Regards

Jaya

I have a variety of souvenirs, some fridge magnets, carved wooden animals from S Africa, other bits and pieces and an awful lot of photos.

The most expensive were two items bought in China - a silk duvet which has been on the bed for most of the last 4 years and is probably the most useful thing I have ever bought abroad. The other was bought on the Yangstse

add-on where there was an artist on the boat painting the inside of assorted pots and flasks. I eventually bought a 5 inch high flask painted (internally) with tigers - it cost twice as much as the duvet but is a real work of art and has pride of place in my lounge. I don't know how he does it, the opening is only about a centimetre wide and there is a painting about 4inches square on each side

Peter

Hi All,

When my wife was alive we collected a Christmas tree ornament from each country we had visited and I've continued the practice. Makes Christmas a time of memories. I think the most unusual is a black Father Christmas from Jamaica.

Roger

'Julia' wrote:

Good evening intrepid travellers, I hope you all had a lovely weekend.

For this week's Monday Musing, we thought we'd ask about holiday souvenirs - When you travel, do you like to come back with more than just memories?

Jan Leeming, our Just You Ambassador says ‘…for me, a holiday is not a holiday unless I come back with a keepsake, consequently, my apartment is jam-packed with memorabilia. I also press flowers and collect pretty stones and shells.’ Here at Just You HQ our marketing team have a keyring tree, which gets added to after every holiday. I personally have a fridge full of obscure fridge magnets and my spare room walls are a mosaic of beautiful canvases. Why not tell us about your souvenirs below?

Kindest regards,

Julia

I have to admit to having a houseful of memories from various trips over the years including a load from China so now I try to be more selective, after all I now have to carry them all myself, now that I am on my own. I now ask myself will I really look back on my holiday and still love it, will it get back in one piece and is it worth the price paid.

Regards.