Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
I agree, Shimla would be wonderful.

Angela

'janib' wrote:

Hello Everyone,

1 Highlander 1986 got me to Eilean Donan in 2013 with the Jacobite Steam Trains.

2 Working Girl 1988 Staten Island Ferry- family trip in 2006

3 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 1989 Treasury at Petra and a great overhead shot of the Siq- finally made it with the Jordan, Sinai and Cairo trip in 2010.

Now I have Shimla at the top of my television lists to do. Ever since I have seen the Indian Hills Railway, this is the next trip. Unfortunately JY do not have this in their Indian tours yet :rolleyes:

Jan

Jan, 

I agree, I would like to go to Shimla too, after watching the same programme. I hope JY takes note! 

Dyuti

Hi

Like others, I watch most holiday and nature TV programmes and get my inspiration and interest from those. Simon Reeve's recent visit to Colombia has whet my appetite for South America even further. I visited Cuba after watching a TV programme by someone.

Regards

Sylvia

Wish you were here gave me a thirst for travel (however, some friends said it`s a "waste of money" when you can see so many different places on tv)

For me, I want to visit as many places as possible before "my time is up"

The only thing stopping me is lack of funds to travel the world so it maybe time to start thinking of a criminal career to fund this thirst ha ha

Faithful

My wish list goes back to long ago schooldays when we learnt of far off places. I never dreamt that I would ever visit the pyramids, cruise the Nile, see the Taj Mahal walk on the Great Wall of China watch tea pickers in Sri Lanka or have so many more wonderful travel experiences. I'm one very lucky traveller.
Hello Everyone,

1 Highlander 1986 got me to Eilean Donan in 2013 with the Jacobite Steam Trains.

2 Working Girl 1988 Staten Island Ferry- family trip in 2006

3 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 1989 Treasury at Petra and a great overhead shot of the Siq- finally made it with the Jordan, Sinai and Cairo trip in 2010.

Now I have Shimla at the top of my television lists to do. Ever since I have seen the Indian Hills Railway, this is the next trip. Unfortunately JY do not have this in their Indian tours yet :rolleyes:

Jan

Hi Kezzer,

I'd forgotten about the World's Most Dangerous Roads, I loved that series and wish they'd made more.  I've watched them all several times at this stage but the good thing about them is that you saw so much of the countryside of whatever country they were in.  I loved Dara O'Briain and Ed Byrne's trip through Central America as well - and am currently enjoying the Hotel programme too.  The one featured last night in Ecuador is amazing!

Cheers,

Bob

Having been a big fan of the 1990s TV show 'Northern Exposure' I wanted to see Alaska for myself. Ironically, when I got there, on JY's fabulous 'Ultimate Alaska' tour in May/June 2016, I discovered that the show wasn't actually filmed in the 49th state at all but in Washington, a little further south!

On the plus side, the JY tour did take us to Talkeetna which, legend has it, is the place where Northern Exposure and "Cicely, Alaska" were born. Apparently, two of the producers found themselves stopping over in Talkeetna and spending a leisurely afternoon in a bar people watching, they came to the conclusion that they had found a suitably eccentric selection of characters and places on which to base their show. For example, Ruth Anne's store in NE, in which you could buy anything and everything, was based on Nagleys General Store in Talkeetna. I can also confirm that the residents of the town, just like in "Cicely", really do largely resemble delegates at a ZZ Top convention! 

Mandy

David Attenborough's natural history programmes were a huge incentive in wanting to travel the world, as were Michael Palin's wonderful journeys to exotic and unusual places. More recently, Chris Tarrant's and Michael Portillo's railway journeys have shown travel from a different perspective. It always makes me smile when I think of all the gubbins we carry on holiday (rucksacks, camera kit, cases etc) and then to see Mr Portillo walking along a station platform somewhere in Europe or the USA, elegantly dressed with just his Bradshaw guide in hand - he must have an army of people off-camera carrying all his gear!

The new 'Amazing Hotels: Life Behind The Lobby' programme on BBC2 I find to be fascinating as well. The first episode about the Marina Bay Sands hotel in Singapore reminded me of when I was there last year with JY.

Keizer, you are so right about the old cowboy films made in places like Monument Valley. They made me want to visit the USA's National Parks, and I when I visited in 2013 I was thrilled to see that Monument Valley was just how I imagined it to be - practically unchanged since John Wayne rode the plains!

And what a great idea to bring back programmes like 'Wish You Where Here'...I always looked forward to watching it with John Carter and Judith Chalmers.

Cheers

Mike

Watching all the old Cowboy films growing up as child with my father made me long to visit parts of the US - the National Parks holiday took me to all the parts I really wanted to see and more....

I really enjoyed Chris Tarrant's Extreme Railways and have absolutely loved the World's Most Dangerous Roads with celebrities traveling on some of the most infamous roads across the globes.. their trips through Bolivar, Madagascar and Ethiopia were amazing..