Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
'IanWight' wrote:

Hi Marion,

I did China with TS in October 2016 but in reverse as we started in Shanghai & ended up in Beijing.

It was the only trip I can recall where on some days I was in shorts and others I was wearing a scarf & coat!

I would have been a little later than you arriving in Shanghai on 16 October where shorts & a polo were the order of the day.

By the time we got to Beijing & the Wall on 28th October it was wrap up well time with some black ice underfoot on shaded parts of the Wall.

We also encountered a certain amount of rain so wet weather gear as well.

I checked a couple of weather sites but they turned out to be somewhat misleading suggesting, certainly in the north, that it would be warmer than it really was. Fortunately a pal had been there and warned me it could be cold in Beijing at that time of year.

None of this put anyone off but the general advice from me is to go for layers - as we went round it was getting cooler and I don't recall any of the ladies in strappy tops, unless they were covered by a cardie or light fleece. For you it should be getting warmer.

A fascinating country and, whatever the weather, you will have a great time.

Ian

Thank you very much, Ian, that's very helpful. 

Marion

Hi Marion,

I did China with TS in October 2016 but in reverse as we started in Shanghai & ended up in Beijing.

It was the only trip I can recall where on some days I was in shorts and others I was wearing a scarf & coat!

I would have been a little later than you arriving in Shanghai on 16 October where shorts & a polo were the order of the day.

By the time we got to Beijing & the Wall on 28th October it was wrap up well time with some black ice underfoot on shaded parts of the Wall.

We also encountered a certain amount of rain so wet weather gear as well.

I checked a couple of weather sites but they turned out to be somewhat misleading suggesting, certainly in the north, that it would be warmer than it really was. Fortunately a pal had been there and warned me it could be cold in Beijing at that time of year.

None of this put anyone off but the general advice from me is to go for layers - as we went round it was getting cooler and I don't recall any of the ladies in strappy tops, unless they were covered by a cardie or light fleece. For you it should be getting warmer.

A fascinating country and, whatever the weather, you will have a great time.

Ian

Hi Marion,

Here's an example packing list for you, which includes suggested clothes:

Your travel documents, passport and prescribed medicines - keep these in your hand luggage, we would also recommend you take photocopies of your passport in case it is lost or stolen - keep one copy at home and take another on your trip

Padlocks to lock your suitcase

A smaller bag or rucksack for days out

Money belt

Clothing to suit the weather conditions in your destination - even in warm climates, it can be cool in the mornings and evenings

Comfortable shoes and socks to wear during excursions

Sun cream, sun hat, sunglasses

Personal medical kit including insect repellent

Antibacterial wipes

A water/windproof jacket

A shawl or sarong to cover shoulders during visits places of worship

Torch, adaptor plug, chargers for phones and cameras, spare batteries

Scarf or bandana to protect your face against dust and wind at high altitude

Spare glasses

Toilet paper

Snacks, tea bags/coffee, milk powder, instant soups or anything you need to support dietary requirements

Camera and spare film/memory card

Many thanks,

Vickie

Hi

I'm on the tour to China on 10th October. 

What sort of clothes should we take?  Are strappy tops acceptable, or should we keep our shoulders covered?

Thanks

Marion