Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
'Grecos' wrote:

Bob,

For once, in total agreement with you!!! Whatever you wear, mosquitoes (or is it mosquitos?) will get you if they want!! Avoiding black or dark colours at night helps a lot, but good repellent is the answer.

As to the lady who wants to wear her walking boots at the airport &, therefore, I suppose the whole flight to Peru, a very BAD idea. I have been to Peru with JY & had no more than trainers with me, which was perfectly fine. But long haul experts I think MIGHT advise her to do what I do, which is to quickly remove trainers (essential travelling footwear almost wherever you go, or walking sandals) & get on slipper socks or disposable slippers. She'll already have her anti-thrombotic socks on (hopefully), so whatever is comfortable, but going "barefoot" to the loo on a plane is not always a great experience! Yes, one's feet might be slightly swollen at the end of the flight, making it that bit harder to get the trainers back on, but the in flight comfort value is worth it.

Forgotten which lady I'm actually writing this to, but have a good weekend Bob &, dare I say it, Ryanair do Dublin-Athens very cheaply. Will JY edit this? If you ever want to come Greek way, it is very easy & I'd be more than happy to help arrange things for you. The Greeks still maintain an amazing hospitality & cheerfulness, whatever the economic circumstances &, to travel alone is no problem at all if you want to get to know the people of the country.

Sheila

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I think the lady who enquired about wearing her walking boots in the airport lounge, would take them off/change them when she got on the plane! I always wear my heaviest footwear when I am going through security etc. as if I put them in my case this would seriously increase the weight limit!

Cheers,

Hils

Bob,

For once, in total agreement with you!!! Whatever you wear, mosquitoes (or is it mosquitos?) will get you if they want!! Avoiding black or dark colours at night helps a lot, but good repellent is the answer.

As to the lady who wants to wear her walking boots at the airport &, therefore, I suppose the whole flight to Peru, a very BAD idea. I have been to Peru with JY & had no more than trainers with me, which was perfectly fine. But long haul experts I think MIGHT advise her to do what I do, which is to quickly remove trainers (essential travelling footwear almost wherever you go, or walking sandals) & get on slipper socks or disposable slippers. She'll already have her anti-thrombotic socks on (hopefully), so whatever is comfortable, but going "barefoot" to the loo on a plane is not always a great experience! Yes, one's feet might be slightly swollen at the end of the flight, making it that bit harder to get the trainers back on, but the in flight comfort value is worth it.

Forgotten which lady I'm actually writing this to, but have a good weekend Bob &, dare I say it, Ryanair do Dublin-Athens very cheaply. Will JY edit this? If you ever want to come Greek way, it is very easy & I'd be more than happy to help arrange things for you. The Greeks still maintain an amazing hospitality & cheerfulness, whatever the economic circumstances &, to travel alone is no problem at all if you want to get to know the people of the country.

Sheila

Sheila

'melanipick' wrote:

Starting to sort out what to pack, I wondered if the hotels have pools?

Also, at the arranged dinners, is the dress code smart or casual? Because of potential mosquitoes, I was wary that I should keep covered up at all times so wanted to check I wasn't going to end up being too scruffy for dinner!!

And the airport lounge says smart casual - I was intending to wear my walking boots because of their weight but I'm guessing they wouldn't be acceptable in the lounge?

Hi,

You can most certainly wear your walking boots in any lounge at the airport - anything goes! When I have been on walking holidays, or any holiday that requires boots etc., I always wear them on the flight to save on weight.

Even in the Business Class lounges I have been amazed at what people are wearing, so don't worry, be comfortable! Enjoy Peru - a fascinating country!

Cheers,

Hils

Thank you Amy!

Hope you have a good day after all my niggly posts over the last while!

Best wishes,

Bob

Good Morning Bob,

Thanks for your review - it is much appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

Hi I would suggest that you pack for comfort more than anything else - google the places you will be visiting and check the likely temperatures.  It is definitely better to wear comfortable clothes in hot climates rather than covering up - and to use some repellent.  Those darned mossies will bite you if they really want to, regardless of what you do - and they can find their way through clothes so covering up really doesn't help much.  On my last tour, I was bitten under the arm and in the middle of my back!

Have a great time and please write a review when you get back.

Best wishes,

Bob

Good Morning Melanipick,

If you look at the hotels online, you will find that they have pools (e.g. Hotel Jose Antonio has an outdoor pool).

For dinners, I would recommend that you either dress smart or casual (although I believe that most travellers opt for casual). In terms of encountering mosquitos, you can either keep yourself covered or use some insect repellent to help keep those pesky mosquitos away!

At the airport lounge, I would recommend wearing walking sandals/trainers - something that feels comfortable and has good grip.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

Starting to sort out what to pack, I wondered if the hotels have pools?

Also, at the arranged dinners, is the dress code smart or casual? Because of potential mosquitoes, I was wary that I should keep covered up at all times so wanted to check I wasn't going to end up being too scruffy for dinner!!

And the airport lounge says smart casual - I was intending to wear my walking boots because of their weight but I'm guessing they wouldn't be acceptable in the lounge?