Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Just to answer my own question, I've been advised that it is fine to bring sterling, euro or dollars to Chile and change them for pesos there.

Six weeks to go!

All the best,

Bob

Hi all, following on from Sally's question could someone tell me if it is better to take sterling, euro or US dollars to Chile? I was there five years ago and think I brought dollars.  I can't get peso in advance as I live in rural Ireland!  It would be great if I could bring euro...

All the best,

Bob

Hi Sally

I would stick with Pesos only. Speaking for Rapa Nui, it's a dual Peso/USD system but the locals much prefer Pesos. They will take dollars but the exchange rate will not be good.

I can't speak for mainland Chile, as I was only there in transit, but Rapa Nui is pretty pricey (food & drinks etc all have to be flown in) so you probably need to factor that in when you are deciding your budget and buying your currency.

One place you may need USD (if JY is not including it in your package) is for purchasing your National Park ticket on arrival on the Island. It's a flat $60 fee (I can't remember the peso equivalent but most people seemed to be paying in dollars.) Perhaps JY could confirm if your TM will be buying the tickets for your group on arrival to save you all queuing at the booth.

Not long now!

Mandy

Hi Sally

i'm on this tour with you and I got my Chilean Peso earlier in the year £350 worth so hoping its enough, mind i'm not doing EI

all the best

Dave

Could I please ask the people who did this trip earlier this year how much spending money they took? Also did you just take Chilean peso or did you take sterling / euros / dollars as well? If the latter, were there lot of places to exchange it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sally

PS Mandy - I know I've said it before, have a great time in the national parks - do as many of the flights as you can!

PPS Julie - many thanks!

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you Mandy.

I have not heard anything from Just You about the Rapa Nui Sunrise trip,  hopefully they will manage to arrange something for us.

It will be a missed opportunity if J.Y. do nothing and we are left  to sort it for ourselves.

Enjoy visiting the Monument Valley in September, you will have an amazing time.  I will look forward to reading your review.

Warm regards Julie

P.S. Bob,  I will gladly write you a review on my return

Hi Mandy, we haven't done anything specifically about it - we were told (by Mildred, I think) that JY reckon we should be able to fit it in, so I personally am waiting till we get there and will ask the TM.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob and Julie

You must be getting very excited now (as I am about Monument Valley in September). I bet that if Jaya wasn't heading for Kenya, she would definitely be stalking you around Patagonia, Bob ;)

Did you manage to get your Rapa Nui Sunrise trips sorted? I haven't seen anything further on the message board so I assume JY will have contacted you directly if they have decided to add it as a further option. If not, you know the man (who also happens to be British Honorary Consul to Easter Island!) who will be happy to sort you out.

Have a wonderful time

Mandy

Thanks Julia,

Great news that it might be Alison Bisset. She was my tour manager in Japan and was fantastic.

Nice to see you replying on the community today, Julia.

Warm regards Julie