Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Thanks Julia,

Very helpful!

Derek

'Julia' wrote:

Hi Derek

The official currency of Peru is the Sol and you should make sure that you carry some of this with you.

When I travelled there last week, with one thing and another, I didn't have a chance to get any Sol before leaving the UK so I took US dollars. Dollars are easier to exchange into the local currency when in Peru than sterling, and I had read that in some hotels, restaurants and even on some markets, US dollars are accepted and this is the case. However, if you do prefer to pay in dollars, always make sure you check before ordering rather than simply assume - just in case you venture somewhere that only accepts Peruvian Sol. I stay for the add-on and we would recommend that you take Sol, so if you only take dollars, remember to exchange this in Puno before you head off on your Amazonian adventure.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi Derek

The official currency of Peru is the Sol and you should make sure that you carry some of this with you.

When I travelled there last week, with one thing and another, I didn't have a chance to get any Sol before leaving the UK so I took US dollars. Dollars are easier to exchange into the local currency when in Peru than sterling, and I had read that in some hotels, restaurants and even on some markets, US dollars are accepted and this is the case. However, if you do prefer to pay in dollars, always make sure you check before ordering rather than simply assume - just in case you venture somewhere that only accepts Peruvian Sol. I stay for the add-on and we would recommend that you take Sol, so if you only take dollars, remember to exchange this in Puno before you head off on your Amazonian adventure.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi Julia

Thanks for the info, do you mean take dollars mostly for most of tour?

Derek

Hi haydockman,

For the luggage, a small soft sided bag/holdall would be suitable, one traveller last week had a small, square, soft-sided suitcase that turned into a rucksack.

In terms of currency, for the extension, we'd recommend Peruvian Sol, you can easily exchange US dollars in Lima, Cuzco or Puno before you head off on your adventure.

I'm just putting together a hints and tips from my own Peruvian adventure last week which may help with some of your preparations.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Hi Julia

I've just received an email regarding my trip.

I have a couple of questions , one, in the Amazon extension it mentions a small bag to take, 

What type would be suitable, and for currency, do you recommend all money in Peruvian currency or a mixture of dollars too?