Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
I have just contact another "single" company who are not charging me a huge extra for flying direct from Glasgow and are arranging a taxi at the other end to the hotel as I will get in at different time from Heathrow people. The taxi is extra of course but at least I dont have to pay for overnight accommodation etc at Heathrow. Nor do I have the inconvenience. It can be done. I am put off some JY holidays due to the added extras......
Hi,

I'm in the same boat regarding flights, though I don't mind Heathrow as I see it as part of my holiday. I was hoping to book Madeira but it's from Gatwick. I've roughly priced the connecting flights to Heathrow, 2 overnight stays, buses between Gatwick and Heathrow, and a hoppa bus between the Heathrow hotel and terminal 5, and it's between £200-250, which I don't think is too bad. My problem is, after missing my connecting flight recently, I'm now very nervous of the same thing happening again. My original plan was to stay in a hotel at Gatwick the night before my holiday, and Heathrow the night after, but from looking at The BA website my flight wouldn't get in till about 20:45, and I'd be worried about getting back to Heathrow that late at night, and be in a panic about getting back to Heathrow the next morning. I do think JY should offer 2/3 options for each holiday where possible as most other travel companies can manage it without any problems, and it's not like it's the same price as JY charge extra for flying from a different airport so it's not like they're losing out.

It's a shame because I really enjoy JY holidays and was really looking forward to booking this holiday, but I feel I can't take the risk. Especially when I can book with another company direct from my local airport and I'd be covered for the whole holiday, and it's a fair bit cheaper too. Hopefully I can still use JY for tours going from Heathrow, but I feel Gatwick is too risky ?.

Regards

Caroline

Out of interest I've looked at the brochure of the three main companies I use for holidays. The warning about rough terrain and steps seems to be a new health and safety thing as they all have it in different forms. If we are completely mobile, surely we can just ignore it, but for others it may prompt them to do a bit more research.
Chris

National Express do a regular coach between Heathrow and Gatwick which takes just over an hour for £20 one way.

Regards

Sally

Hi

Reading all the comments on this thread, I have come to the conclusion that it is not an easy task to please everyone. If I am correct and remember, I think a while back someone wanted Just You to add more information about mobility etc. and now that they have done so, people are finding this as an 'insult' to their intelligence. I personally think that no one has to tell you anything as you can do your own research if you wish. For example, I have seen women wearing ridiculous high heeled sandals whilst out and about on holidays where there are cobblestones and uneven paths and have also seen a couple of women falling because of this. People travelling on Just You holidays are all mature people and should be capable of using their commonsense. As for the regional flights and travel time to airports etc, I wholly agree with Chris. We all can't have an airport near our homes flying to all the destinations we want to go to. I prefer Gatwick and not Heathrow, but have booked holidays flying out from Heathrow despite the inconvenience of getting there - I do this as I know that if I did not then I would be the one missing out. Again, it is a personal choice as to which airport to fly out from and I do not have any complaints against those who do not want to travel to Gatwick or Heathrow, but do not put the blame on Just You!

Jaya

'Chris84' wrote:

Its the airlines, not JY that determine which airports they use for they're fleet. In an ideal world there would be flights from your regional airport to anywhere in the globe, but with larger aircraft and more destinations to choose from only the larger airports would only be able to accommodate these routes. Many airlines would not even consider flying from anywhere in the UK other than London Heathrow or Gatwick. If there was a flight from Glasgow to Malta or Mongolia JY would try to shoehorn a tour in somehow.

If been on guided trips to Europe where there are two days in the week designated to hotel/airport transfers (Saturday & Wednesday). This was to accommodate for flights coming from various UK airports that may be once a week (or for Gatwick both days). So halfway through trip half of the people left and replaced with newbies. So it was flexible enough to fit in more than one place of origin and you could have 4,7,10 or 14 day holidays. Whilst this wouldn't be feasible for tours of Peru, China or Kenya or cruises, it could be for destinations in Europe and 'Escape' holidays.

From my perspective I have very little sympathy for those complaining about a 2-3 hour coach or train journey to get in to London. Sorry. I live in Jersey, so every holiday outside the UK entails a trip via Gatwick, 99% of the time it includes an overnight stay on either before the outbound or after inbound flights or sometimes both. No matter what company I use this has to be the case and adds at least £300 to the holiday regardless of its length, if I book nine months in advance. I don't do last minute breaks as this can be in access of £700 easily, no matter what the 'deal' is on offer.

I've already booked two trips next year with JY. Basque Country of Spain at the end of April, and Sicily in September. I've recently returned from Sardinia (loved it) and I booked the Spain trip back in June, so I could get cheaper Jersey-Gatwick flights, find a hotel at Heathrow and work out how to get between the two airports. And I am considering my first long-haul in 2018 (early 2018 dates?)

Hi Chris

I am almost certain there is a Heathrow-Gatwick Express.  Never used it, only recall seeing signs for it.

Sylvia

Its the airlines, not JY that determine which airports they use for they're fleet. In an ideal world there would be flights from your regional airport to anywhere in the globe, but with larger aircraft and more destinations to choose from only the larger airports would only be able to accommodate these routes. Many airlines would not even consider flying from anywhere in the UK other than London Heathrow or Gatwick. If there was a flight from Glasgow to Malta or Mongolia JY would try to shoehorn a tour in somehow.

If been on guided trips to Europe where there are two days in the week designated to hotel/airport transfers (Saturday & Wednesday). This was to accommodate for flights coming from various UK airports that may be once a week (or for Gatwick both days). So halfway through trip half of the people left and replaced with newbies. So it was flexible enough to fit in more than one place of origin and you could have 4,7,10 or 14 day holidays. Whilst this wouldn't be feasible for tours of Peru, China or Kenya or cruises, it could be for destinations in Europe and 'Escape' holidays.

From my perspective I have very little sympathy for those complaining about a 2-3 hour coach or train journey to get in to London. Sorry. I live in Jersey, so every holiday outside the UK entails a trip via Gatwick, 99% of the time it includes an overnight stay on either before the outbound or after inbound flights or sometimes both. No matter what company I use this has to be the case and adds at least £300 to the holiday regardless of its length, if I book nine months in advance. I don't do last minute breaks as this can be in access of £700 easily, no matter what the 'deal' is on offer.

I've already booked two trips next year with JY. Basque Country of Spain at the end of April, and Sicily in September. I've recently returned from Sardinia (loved it) and I booked the Spain trip back in June, so I could get cheaper Jersey-Gatwick flights, find a hotel at Heathrow and work out how to get between the two airports. And I am considering my first long-haul in 2018 (early 2018 dates?)

Hi Elaine, I agree with all you've  said about airports outside of London. I too will think very carefully  bout booking with JY  not enough airports outside of the London area, by the time I've paid to get down south from Yorkshire and stayed in hotel overnight it adds to the price, i love the hols on offer but not getting to London, not enough in Yorkshire
Thanks Julia for the explanation.

Regards

'SusieB' wrote:

[quote pid='291315' dateline='1475226044']

Hi Bosuncat

I agree with you regarding your comments about mobility warnings in the new brochure. I am fortunate enough to not have serious mobility issues but having had a hip replacement in recent weeks I was looking forward to finding an Escape type holiday next Spring where I can just a relax. Probably I'll be fine by then anyway but just trying to be sensible for once!  However, I too am very disappointed because a quick count revealed that approx 20 of the 27 holidays in the new brochure gave a mobility warning. This really does seem a bit over the top to me and I can't help but think that JY are simply covering themselves in case of a 'complainer'.  

Surely everyone knows that whatever place you visit there is almost certainly going to be some uneven/rough  ground somewhere or steps with no handrails etc. These conditions exist here in the UK too.  

It would have a much more significant impact if JY only advised where the problem was more extreme e.g. Antartica, climbing in mountainous areas or places where altitude sickness could occur.  Even then I imagine potential travellers would have had the sense to check those things out for themselves well in advance.

The current 'namby pamby' notes at the foot of many holiday descriptions are almost an insult to our intelligence. They may only result in either putting people off completely or, as is more likely, them being totally ignored whether warranted or not.

Regards

Sue

I agree totally Sue.