Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Hi Sally and Monty,

Thanks for the helpful advice.

I've left this all a bit late - leaving on Monday early!!

I applied for the PO card over the weekend but extremely unlikely to arrive in time.

OK, well I'll forget Travellers Cheques and tell my CC / bank I'm away.

Better planning next time :angel:

Kind regards,

Joy

'sallyc' wrote:

Joy

As Monty has said Travellers cheques are pretty rare these days. If you are unhappy about taking a lot of cash and are worried about fraud with using a credit or debit card you could try a Cash Passport or Currency card which the likes of the Post Office and Travelex provide. You can apply online for the card and pre-load it with cash then use it like a debit card to either withdraw cash or pay direct. As the card is separate from your bank account there is no need to worry about fraudsters 'skimming' your card and accessing your bank account. If you run out of funds on the card you can transfer money online easily. If I haven't explained this very well have a look at the link:-

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaid-cards/what-is-a-prepaid-travel-card/  which should help.

Having said that, when I have travelled to the US I have taken cash and paid any meals or drinks in hotels by credit card without any problems. One thing to remember is to tell your bank that you are in the US and over what dates so that they don't refuse your card while over there.

Have a great trip.

Sally

As Monty has said, I think travellers cheques or old hat, people either use Cash (I do and I rake card just in case) or many people use the cards you upload cash onto.

Cindy

Joy

As Monty has said Travellers cheques are pretty rare these days. If you are unhappy about taking a lot of cash and are worried about fraud with using a credit or debit card you could try a Cash Passport or Currency card which the likes of the Post Office and Travelex provide. You can apply online for the card and pre-load it with cash then use it like a debit card to either withdraw cash or pay direct. As the card is separate from your bank account there is no need to worry about fraudsters 'skimming' your card and accessing your bank account. If you run out of funds on the card you can transfer money online easily. If I haven't explained this very well have a look at the link:-

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaid-cards/what-is-a-prepaid-travel-card/  which should help.

Having said that, when I have travelled to the US I have taken cash and paid any meals or drinks in hotels by credit card without any problems. One thing to remember is to tell your bank that you are in the US and over what dates so that they don't refuse your card while over there.

Have a great trip.

Sally

Hi Joy,

The currency in America is the US Dollar, which is widely available in the UK. Widely accepted are US Dollar cheques; Pound Sterling traveller's cheques are rarely accepted and few banks will honour them. Change is issued in US Dollars. One or two items of identification (passport, credit card, driving licence) will be required.

Most major credit cards are accepted throughout North America including American Express, Diners Club, MasterCard and Visa. Visitors are advised to carry at least one major credit card, as it is common to request prepayment or a credit card imprint for hotel rooms and car hire, even when final payment is not by credit card.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Monty

Hi

Just deciding what mix of money to take with me on USA trip.

Are Traveler cheques still a good thing to do, as in widely accepted - or am I living in the dark ages?

Obviously going to get some dollars in cash and taking a card, but wondered whether to mix some Travelers' Cheques too.

All advice welcome :-)

Joy