Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Hi Cindy,

It depends on the tour, sometimes we are able to offer Porterage and sadly, on others we are not.

Where it is included, it will be mentioned in the brochure on the tour page or on the "your holiday includes" section of the web pages.

Julia

I thought porterage :huh: means the bags were delivered to your room, on the European tours I have been on I have taken my bags (suitcase) to my room myself, where as long haul USA New Zealand, the bags have been delivered to my room.

Then again I could be wrong.

Julia can you clarify perhaps??:huh::idea::thumbup:

Cindy

Hi Olive,

I agree with what the others say and would add prices can vary dramatically like this country depending whether you are in a big city or small town (eg last year on route 66 coffee and cake in Chicago $6 yet 100 mile up the road in Pontiac $3).

I also tip the maid, America is a very different culture to the UK and they get much less than our minimum wage and rely on tips.

Mick

Malcolm - thank you. That's a great help.

Re tipping - I thought that was the case as well - but, as the brochure just mentions porterage included, perhaps tips for maids etc. are not included. Maybe I'll ask Julia to clarify this. Best wishes Olive

Hello again Olive.

Re Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. Ok the temperatures were down to the low 30F’s but after the mid 90F’s it was not that bad!!! However, I did take 2 very light pullovers for the evening walks to the local restaurants and they were ok (mind you it could be worse if it was windy). You don’t really want to take too much clothing (23kgs for the luggage remember).

If you google the US Weather Channel you will get some idea of the current temperatures etc. Today Yellowstone is 43F, Jackson Hole 53F and the Arches 75F. As you go south on the tour the temperatures will get higher.

Re tipping the maids I was always under the assumption that tips for the hotel staff were included in what we paid Just You / Travelsphere. Perhaps I am wrong.

Regards

Malcolm

I leave a tip in the room if I do not see a maid. Like AbbaDave says, they work hard for poor pay and if anyone deserves a tip, then they do.

Jaya

i always myself tip the maids especially if you see a lot of them they work really hard for not the best of pay, if on a tour you may never see a maid what with early departures but the last destination is good if you have lots of cash left to get rid of
'Sussex wrote:

Hi Olive

From my last 2 visits to America, AbbaDave is correct about ‘sales tax’ whether it be meals or gifts. Each state is different but 10% is a good guide to add to the price.

As for tips I don’t think you will require a taxi. As a guide the tour manager’s tip is $2 a day and the driver $1 a day. Get an envelope from the hotel if you want to put the money in. Never given a maid a tip! Drinks $1 or $2 per drink.

Breakfasts are about $10 to $15. Lunch will probably be a filled roll (and they are big) from Walmart etc. Say $15 with a soft drink or water. Evening meal, can be from $20 to $40. Try the diners, they are really go value for money. There’s a Denny’s Classic Diner next to the hotel in Cortez in Colorado.

If you want any more information (and anyone else about this trip) just ask.

Regards

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm. Your info has been so helpful. You mentioned on a previous post that you had snow in Yellowstone. Just wondering how cold it was and what sort of jacket I should be taking. Will a good waterproof be OK? Kind regards Olive

Malcolm

Why do you not tip a maid, just curious seems a bit harsh if your tipping all the rest?

Cindy

Hi Olive

From my last 2 visits to America, AbbaDave is correct about ‘sales tax’ whether it be meals or gifts. Each state is different but 10% is a good guide to add to the price.

As for tips I don’t think you will require a taxi. As a guide the tour manager’s tip is $2 a day and the driver $1 a day. Get an envelope from the hotel if you want to put the money in. Never given a maid a tip! Drinks $1 or $2 per drink.

Breakfasts are about $10 to $15. Lunch will probably be a filled roll (and they are big) from Walmart etc. Say $15 with a soft drink or water. Evening meal, can be from $20 to $40. Try the diners, they are really go value for money. There’s a Denny’s Classic Diner next to the hotel in Cortez in Colorado.

If you want any more information (and anyone else about this trip) just ask.

Regards

Malcolm