Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
I have been to the US quite a lot and I budget a minimum of $50 a day spending money for food and incidentals and I dont drink alcohol. Of course where you are in the US will make a bit of difference but not much.
Hi Jacki

It's a hard question to answer, as it depends so much on where you eat, and also what drinks you have with the meal.

US meals are very large, so if you eat a "normal" US breakfast, I doubt that you will need much at lunchtime.

For the majority of cities $35/40 (around £20/25) will get you a nice meal and a drink, including tip. You can spend a lot more if you want, for example you can spend any amount you like on a bottle of wine, just as you can in a restraurant at home, or on things like seafood if you're in a costal location (although this will still be cheaper than in the UK)

You can also spend a lot less if you want, with any number of fast food establishments or "sandwich shops" around everywhere. Also because of the size of meals, I very much doubt you would want a starter, main course and sweet, which helps to keep the cost down.

Hope that all helps.

Stuart

Jacki

I have been on a few USA tours, regarding FOOD... I find that if you make full use of the breakfast then you will not need that much at lunchtime if anything. The evening meal can vary in price to be honest, you could be in Wendy's eating a BURGER!!! or a nice place eating a poshish meal!..it also depends who you buddy up with and what you do. do you pay for your own meals or just split it down the line?.

So for working a budget out I would say not many dollers for lunch just snack amount and for evening say £20 + drinkies?

So if you said £30-£40 a day I am sure you would be well over. It really does depend on what and where you eat, make sure you look at what meals are included if any and then work out the spare days. when you will have to buy food.

I hope you go for it.

Cindy

Ben 11 years ago
Good morning,

Thanks for getting in touch, meal prices do vary from state to state, i.e A lunch and dinner in New York is going to be more expensive than in the Deep South, the best response may well come from our community member who have previously travelled, may I suggest re posting this question in the 'say hello to other travellers' section of the site.

I can also find out for you via a Tour Manager, what tours were you looking at going on?

Kindest,

ben

Hi I'm trying to work out if I can afford the USA next year. Can you advise how much to budget for per day for lunch and dinner ? Thanks