Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Ben 12 years ago
Good morning Jan,

Thanks for getting in touch, in respect of currency -

Currency Information

The national currency of South Africa is the Rand (R). We recommend you take local currency and Pound Sterling travellers’ cheques which can be changed at exchange bureaux. US Dollars are not allowed in South Africa.

MasterCard and Visa are preferred. American Express and Diners Club are also widely accepted. ATMs are available in all towns, cities and shopping malls and most petrol stations, and accept international cards. Almost all hotels, shops and restaurants, and even national parks and game reserves, accept credit cards. They are rarely accepted at petrol stations, however.

Money can be changed at banks, bureaux de change and some hotels. Proof of identity may be requested; therefore, it is advisable to carry a passport. Visitors are restricted to bringing in and taking out a maximum of R5,000 in cash.

Please note that travellers cheques can not be used for payment towards optional excursions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Food & Drink

Eating out in South Africa is a joy. There is a huge choice available, from the smartest, sophisticated restaurants to the simplest of cafes and bars.

Meat is big in South Africa, while its long coastline guarantees fresh seafood and numerous vineyards produce excellent wines. The country's cosmopolitan heritage means all types of cuisine are available, with fruity and sweet Cape Malay cuisine a speciality of Cape Town, and a strong Indian influence making Durban's curries divine.

Local specialities are:

• Boerworst (a fairly spicy high-quality sausage).

• Bobotie (a curried mince stew).

• Potjiekos (a spicy casserole cooked in an iron pot).

• Bredie (meat, tomato and vegetable casserole).

• Biltong (dried meat, typically beef or venison).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swimming Pools

Where hotels have their own swimming pools, please arrange to take your own towels, as some hotels do not provide these. Also note that many pools in South Africa do not have depth markings, so always familiarise yourself with the pool before swimming. Diving is not recommended

Please note, I cannot offer any advice on medical topics, you must consult your GP on these matters at all times,

I hope this helps,

Kindest,

Ben

I would welcome any information on two or three things.

Which currencies do I need? Is it rand for South Africa and US dollars for Zambia? We also have a night in Swaziland - what currency do I need for this?

I would also appreciate advice on how to take the currency - cash? cash passport? Ive heard ATMs are not that easily accessible.

I can budget for excursions but am not sure about food and drink. Any ideas roughly for costs of lunches and drinks? I know its up to personal taste but a rough idea would help.

Do hotels we stay in provide towels and toiletries and in Zambia are pool towels provided?

Can you also tell me roughly when we need to begin taking malaria tablets on the trip. I know that it is after Cape town but not sure just where the Malaria region starts. Thanks very much