Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Hello,many thanks once again!

I have not got a warm long coat but will get one now,my leather jacket is not exactly warm.A long coat will also hide my money belt..perfect.

Thanks for yor weather/temp advice as I now know what to wear!I will definately let you know how I got on when Im back in early May.

Once again many,many thanks xx

Hi there,

Most of Russia has only two seasons, summer and winter, with very short intervals of moderation between them!

Spring and early fall tend to be quite unpredictable. The average temperature for April is around 4 degrees celcius, so i'd recommend warm clothes, including a long warm jacket, as it could be quite bitter at times.

Snow flurries and temperatures in the mid 20s F/-5 C are possible in the Spring so be sure to take waterproof shoes for your visit - there tends to be a lot of mud in Spring and Autumn.

I hope you have a lovely time, look forward to reading all about it when you get back!

Speak soon,

Cheryl, your editor

Hi What kind of clothes do I wear for this hoilday as I dont know whether to take summer or winter clothes? Many Thanks
Many Thanks for your long reply and going though the trouble to write it! Very much appriecated and helpfull.You have helped me sort this out as alot of websites tell you different things,so did not know what to belive in the end! Once again many thanks xx
Hi Sharon,

The question of currency in Russia can get quite confusing - hopefully the information below will help you!

It's not legal to use US dollars or Euro for transactions in Russia. However, you'll still see a lot of prices marked in Y.E. (which means "units" and usually equals the current US dollar or Euro rate). So, you won't be able to use US dollars, Euro, or any other currency in a shop, cafe, or to pay to a service provider, unless he is OK exchanging it on your behalf.

It's better to have some cash with you (just enough for initial expenses, transport, accommodation, food) as it can be easier to exchange when you come to Russia, and then the rest in the traveler's cheques and cards. If you're going to small towns, cruises, tours or to the countryside, it's better to take cash only, because you might have problems cashing the cards or travelers' cheques.

Cash is used much more often than the cards, and if you're outside of the big cities, take cash only because it will be hard to cash the cards or cheques. It's better if the cash is in US dollars or Euros, because that's the currency you'll be able to change everywhere in Russia.

Travelers' Cheques is probably the most secure way of keeping your money: you are the only one who can cash the cheques and if lost they can be reissued - just write down the numbers beforehand and keep them separate from the cheques. The problem is that in Russia you can refund them only in banks, which are opened only from 9 until 5. The banks charge commission for refunding the cheques (about 2-3%) and for buying the cheques - usually 1%.

The most widely accepted cheques in Russia are American Express and more rare - Thomas Cook.

Credit Cards. There are many cash machines in Moscow, St. Petersburg and major Siberian cities, and a lot of shops and restaurants accept cards in the big cities. However, as soon as you go to smaller towns, you'll find it hard to use your credit card. Visa, MasterCard are accepted almost in any ATM.

I hope this helps you Sharon!

Best wishes,

Cheryl, your editor

Hello Cheryl,Thanks for your reply! This is my 5th hoilday with Just You,Though this one Ive wanted to do for years. Please could you tell me what is the best currency to take?, as I realise you cannot change Roubles back into pounds so dont want to get to many of those! Many Thanks..Sharon.
Hi Sharon,

Lovely to hear that you've booked a Just You holiday - what a lovely way to spend your birthday, in Russia!

Well the tour has 23 people booked currently, with a capacity of 27 - so only a few places left! So hopefully you should hear from some fellow travellers soon! If you have any questions don't hesitate to get in touch.

Warm regards,

Cheryl, your editor

Hi everyone..Im Sharon and Ive booked this trip on April 24th,I will be there also for my 34th birthday! Anyone else going?