Post a reply
Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Hi thereWe've had quite a few messages regarding what currency is best when travelling to Egypt - click here to view them .I have posted a reply within the thread but if it interests you, here's my response:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi everyone I’m really pleased to see so much practical advise is being posted on Your Community.There seems to be common questions about currency and paying for excursions so I hope you find the following information helpful: Booking Excursions for the Nile Cruise Excursions can be booked with your Tour Manager whilst you are on holiday. Payment needs to be in cash, either Sterling or Egyptian pounds. We regret we are unable to accept payment by credit card or travellers cheque, unless otherwise stated. General Information re currency in Egypt Tipping Guide for Egypt Guides: US$ 2.00 per person per day. Cruise Staff: US$10.00 per person to be divided between all staff. Driver on excursions:£0.30 pence (EG£2.00) per person. Boat Trips: £0.30 pence (EG£2.00) per person. Hotel Staff: £0.90 pence (EG£6.00) per person. Of course this is just a guide and is at your discretion - Your Tour Manager can collect this at the beginning of the holiday and distribute accordingly Currency The local currency is Egyptian Pounds (E£) which is divided into 100 Piastres. Most shops are happy to accept Sterling or US$. Credit cards are not widely accepted but are OK to cover extra charges in hotels and on board the boat. Exchanging Money Hotels and Egyptian banks will not exchange travellers cheques as they take 4-5 days to clear. However, Thomas Cook shops in Cairo, Aswan and Luxor will change traveller’s cheques It is better to exchange money upon arrival into Egypt since their rate is more favourable. At present it is impossible to obtain US$ in Egypt, it’s therefore advisable to obtain these prior to leaving the UK. Tips Take some Egyptian £1.00 notes to pay for toilets If you do change your money into Egyptian pounds, ask for E£10 notes only. The E£20 notes look very similar to the 50piastres notes and some market traders may take advantage of this. Most market traders won’t give change. They will instead try to sell you additional item so try to ensure the correct amount is given. It’s advisable not to put your hands near your mouth after handling the Egyptian notes as they can be rather dirty Hope this helps Regards Cheryl, your editor